We’re Hiring an Employment Counsellor
Employment Hamilton has been delivering employment and training services to clients and employers since 1972. Funded by Employment Ontario, EH offers employment counselling, a large Resource Centre, Second Career, Canada-Ontario Job Grant and other programs / services. We operate on a continuous improvement model in every facet of our services.
EH prides itself on providing superior service in a welcoming environment that promotes integrity and respect. We are looking for an outgoing individual who enjoys working with a diverse clientele; a team player who is eager to learn, is a skilled listener and excels in written and verbal communication.
At EH, the role of Employment Counsellor is multi-faceted. Not only would you be working one-on-one with clients in their employment and training pursuits, you would be working with employers and community partners to benefit EH clients. Innovative thinking and the ability to effectively contribute in a team environment are critical components of the position.
• Working with a diverse clientele to establish and implement Plans of Action based on effective assessments that reflect the needs of each client and addresses any barriers to employment
• Creating effective resumes; assisting with realistic goal setting; advising on job search techniques; preparing clients for interview opportunities; assisting with apprenticeship pursuits and assessing for training programs
• Developing and maintaining relationships with employers to successfully market clients, taking into account current labour market conditions and client strengths / barriers
• Maintaining accurate documentation of an ongoing caseload, both manually and electronically in the Employment Ontario Case Management System
• Utilizing superior writing abilities, proofreading a variety of documents including resumes / letters for content, grammar, punctuation and quality
• Applying and continually enhancing knowledge of the Hamilton Labour Market, trends, tools, resources, programs and opportunities
• Liaising with community partners / agencies and accessing resources to assist with successful outcomes ensuring current knowledge of all resources is maintained
• Problem solving job placements, including at the client’s workplace; engaging mentors for clients and monitoring placements to ensure a successful outcome
• Maintaining an up-to-date caseload meeting all expectations for progress and contact activity
• Motivating and supporting job seekers through making linkages to other supports as required based on individual circumstances
• Marketing clients to employers, meeting with employers to provide services/tools/resources and placement monitoring
• Completing all files, reports, data entry and other documentation in a timely manner
• Communicating, in a team setting, opportunities, ideas and information to assist with the successful outcomes of all clients and goals of the organization
• Facilitate workshops/information sessions on various topics with job seekers
This an entry level opportunity, with training for the right candidate with the following qualifications:
• The ability to successfully and professionally carry out the responsibilities listed above
• Resourceful, organized and outgoing with a sincere interest in helping others
• Excellent client service skills to successfully support, market and motivate clients
• Effective verbal and written communication skills (includes solid proofreading skills)
• Familiarity with the Hamilton area including business sectors
• Demonstrated ability to use excellent judgment, establish rapport and communicate effectively with a diverse clientele including the business community
• Proficiency in Windows, Word, Outlook, Internet resourcing with excellent keyboarding skills and ability to accurately track enter correct data into the Ministry database
• Enthusiastic team player with strong time management skills
• Ability to clearly document and accurately maintain all records and data management systems
• Creative and adaptable, with the ability to learn and apply new skills quickly; a commitment to ongoing development
• Knowledge /ability to develop assessment; effective Action Plan development; the local labour market and community resources
• Ability to occasionally work outside of our usual office hours as required with notice
• A vehicle is an asset
Interested candidates who possess the above qualifications, have good judgment and are empathetic to the unemployed are invited to apply before March 6, 2020
• Email your letter and resume in ONE PDF attachment to HR@EmploymentHamilton.com
• In order to be considered, YOUR LETTER MUST INCLUDE YOUR WEEKLY SALARY EXPECTATION for this entry level opportunity
EH is a not-for-profit organization. We offer a comprehensive benefits package after 4 months.
No telephone enquiries please.
To be considered for employment, a satisfactory Police Criminal Record / Vulnerable Sector is required. Accessibility accommodations are available for the recruitment process upon request. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. Employment Hamilton is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants but only those considered will be contacted.