We’re Hiring a Full Time Employment Counsellor
Employment Hamilton (EH) has been delivering employment and training services to clients and employers since 1972. Funded by Employment Ontario / Fedcap Canada, EH offers Employment Counselling, Better Jobs Ontario and a Resource and Information Centre.
EH prides itself on providing superior service in a welcoming environment that promotes integrity and respect. We are looking for an outgoing individual who enjoys working with a diverse clientele; a team player who is eager to learn, who is a skilled listener and excels in written and verbal communication.
At EH, the role of Employment Counsellor is multi-faceted. Not only would you be working one-on-one with clients in their employment and training pursuits, you would be working with employers and community partners to benefit EH clients. Innovative thinking and the ability to effectively contribute in a team environment are critical components of the position.
- Meeting and working with a diverse clientele to establish and implement Employment Action Plans based on effective assessments that reflect the needs of each client and address any barriers to employment
- Creating effective resumes; assisting with realistic goal setting; advising on job search techniques; preparing clients for interview opportunities; assisting with apprenticeship pursuits and assessing for training programs
- Utilizing superior writing / proofreading abilities to create a variety of documents including resumes and letters
- Applying and continually enhancing knowledge of the Hamilton Labour Market, trends, tools, resources, programs and opportunities
- Liaising with community partners/agencies and accessing resources to assist with successful outcomes ensuring current knowledge of all resources is maintained
- Problem solving job placements, including at the client’s workplace to ensure a successful outcome
- Maintaining an up-to-date caseload of job seekers meeting all expectations for progress and contact activity
- Motivating and supporting job seekers through making linkages to other supports as required based on individual circumstances
- Marketing clients to employers, meeting with employers to provide services/tools/resources and placement monitoring
- Completing all data entry and other documentation in a timely manner
- Communicating, in a team setting, opportunities, ideas and information to assist with the successful outcomes of all clients and goals of the organization
- Employment Counsellor role may involve some workshop facilitation
While experience in employment counselling is an asset, this an entry-level opportunity, with training for the right candidate with the following qualifications:
- The ability to successfully and professionally carry out the responsibilities listed above
- Resourceful, organized and outgoing with a sincere interest in helping others
- Excellent client service skills to successfully support, market and motivate clients
- Effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to clearly document and accurately maintain all records and data management systems
- Familiarity with the Hamilton area; labour market and community resources
- Demonstrated ability to use excellent judgment, establish rapport and communicate effectively with a diverse clientele
- Proficiency in Windows, Word, Outlook, (Excel is an asset), Internet resourcing with excellent keyboarding skills
- Enthusiastic team player with strong time management skills
- Creative and adaptable, with the ability to learn and apply new skills quickly; a commitment to ongoing development
- Knowledge/ability to complete assessments and effective employment action plan development;
- Ability to very occasionally work outside of our usual office hours as required with notice
- A vehicle is an asset
- A second language is an asset
Interested candidates who possess the above qualifications, have good judgment, and are empathetic to the unemployed are invited to apply.
- Email your letter and resume in ONE PDF attachment to HR@EmploymentHamilton.com with the subject line “Employment Counsellor”
- In order to be considered, your letter must state your WEEKLY SALARY EXPECTATION. EH is a not-for-profit organization. We offer a comprehensive benefits package after 4 months. Usual weekly hours M-F 35.5.
Resumes will be reviewed as they arrive with a final deadline of September 15/23. This position may be filled PRIOR TO this date as interviews may begin earlier.
No telephone enquiries please
To be considered for employment, a satisfactory Police Criminal Record / Vulnerable Sector Search is required. Accessibility accommodations are available for the recruitment process upon request. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. Employment Hamilton is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants but only those considered will be contacted