CANADA-ONTARIO JOB GRANT
The Canada-Ontario Job Grant provides businesses with funding to train workers.
The Job Grant provides direct financial support to employers who wish to purchase training for their employees. It is available to businesses with a plan to deliver training to existing and new employees, and will:
- Provide up to $10,000 in government support per person for training costs
- Require employers to contribute one-third of the total costs. There is additional flexibility for small businesses to provide an in-kind contribution towards their share of the costs
Is any business eligible for funding?
- Individual businesses and business organizations can apply. Broader public sector organizations or Canada-Ontario Job Grant service providers are not eligible.
- You can’t apply if you are already receiving government funding to train the same worker.
How much funding can I get?
- The Grant will fund, on average, two-thirds of a worker’s eligible training costs, to a maximum of $10,000. Eligible training costs include tuition and fees, textbooks and materials.
- You contribute the remaining costs, and employ the worker you train.
What are the requirements?
- Your business must:
- Contribute at least one-third of the training costs
- Employ the worker you plan to train
- Be licensed to operate in Ontario
- Have insurance, and comply with labour and human rights legislation
- Also, the training and the job must be in Ontario.
Who provides the training?
- You can select any appropriate training offered by eligible third-party trainers.
Who can get training?
- Workers must:
- have an employer to sponsor them
- be a resident of Ontario
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person
- not already be taking full-time education or training
- If you want to hire and train through the Grant, we can help you connect with workers.
Why should I train my workers?
- Training can improve business performance, profit and staff morale.
- The Canadian Apprenticeship Forum tells us that, on average, a $1 investment in training returns a benefit to the employer of $1.38.
- If you want to give your business the benefits of workplace training, this grant is for you.
Want to apply?
The application is available here.
If your application is to train 25 or less employees, you will have the option to submit it directly to Employment Hamilton and we will contact you within 2 business days.